The Missing 1983 Corvette!

Those familiar with Corvette history are well aware that there was no 1983 Corvette.  The industry standard Corvette Black Book certainly shows no entry between the 1982 and 1984 Corvettes.

Imagine my amazement this past Saturday at the National Corvette Museum standing in front of a white 1983 Corvette! This unique Corvette is shown to the right.

The sign on the exhibit explains: "The planned 1983 Corvette brought forward some of the most far reaching design changes in Corvette’s history.  Many changes included high-technology that had not been proven for automobile application….Although the technology was available, it had to be developed into the manufacturing process with the quality, reliability, and durability proven before production of saleable vehicles could begin.  The initial plan called for introduction of the newly designed 1983 in October 1982.  There were 43 pre-production models built (but) a decision was made to withhold production (for sale) until January 1983 and to serialize them as 1984 models.  The Corvette was named "Car of the Year" by Motor Trend Magazine in 1984."

So, why were they held off until January? Before production lines began, California voted to make emission controls more stringent than ever, and the 1983 model wasn’t prepared to deal with it.

All 43 prototypes were ordered to be destroyed but canny assembly plant personnel hid one vehicle for years, changing the paint scheme, and moving it around until they received a commitment from GM that it wouldn’t be destroyed. You can see it today for yourself at the Museum!

[ National Corvette Museum ]

[ Corvette Black Book ]

[ Motor Trend Car of the Year Award ]

25 Responses to The Missing 1983 Corvette!

1. Jim Porter says:

I am having an issue with my 1982 sputtering at around 2500 rpms. I have put new plugs, wires, cap, rotor on and am wondering if anyone else has had this issue. It is only during full throttle that this happens.

2. Bob says:

That is a good story and most of your facts are correct but you need to do a bit more checking. there were 44 cars, 11 went for crash testing and 32 were “disassembled” it is said that only # 23 survived across the road at the museum but we could ask Jay Leno a couple of questions about a truck load of parts that were purchased and now bare a certain resemblance to a 1983 corvette.

3. Bob Murphree says:

I had the fortune of attending the Grand Opening of the Corvette Museum located in Bowling Green, KY. The home of the Corvette Manufacturing Plant. While there, I picked up a factory sales brochure for the 1983 Corvette, first and second Editions. Still inside the original White – now tinted Yellow with age, envelops. I wish I had purchased more copies. The Corvette Club had a booth and were selling them at the time. If I remember correclty, I bought the last First Edition sold that day. Awesome literature. One difference was the rim style used on the models photographed.

4. Guy Goodship says:

I have a Corvette that shows it was manufactured in 02/83 so how can you say that they weren’t made in 1983.I live in California and this car is also from California and we all have heard that the 44 were in Riverside, California.

• Marjorie Starnes says:

I have one too. Made it February 1983. It’s a 1984 Vette. Model year is often different from manufacture date.

• jerry says:

I also have an 1984 s/n 2101. what s/n is yours? Some time ago I saw and acquired a magazine with an article that showed all the 1983 parts that were on the vette. I somehow lost the magazine but sure would like to have one. There are a number of vettes that were sent to Cal. in the first run, mine was one of the first Z51′s and did not the bilsten shocks or have the transparent top avail. , it was our dealers car and I talked it out of it…lol.
      I t is ALL original and is a NCRS top flight wwinner with 107k moles on it..even have the original gaterbacks in the garage.

5. Gary Westrick says:

I have heard that 1 of the 43 cars is in storage on Harsens Island, Michigan.

6. Read the Article says:

Its a 1984 serial number though. May have been produced in 1983, but its a 1984 model year.

There continue to be alternative accounts of significant interest, but we are reporting the official story, as it comes from the Corvette Museum. You certainly have piqued my curiosity. Thank you for writing.

• Reed says:

The 1983 Corvette was titled that way to make it a one of a kind car for the museum. I was the same car as the one’s that were titled as 1984.
      I had purchased one of the first 84′s and mine was built in Feb. of 83.

• jim says:

Bill,

I have a GM photo that was given to me for use on a Chevy project* with ADP in 1982. It is of a gold/pewter C4 with the ’83 wheels. Always thought it was odd that I had never seen the wheels in production, but seeing the car on display at the NCM confirmed what I suspected. The photo is a GM styling pre-production photo.

Jim (ACC, Corvettes America, NOCC)

*The project was the first computerized vehicle locator system, launched at the ’82 (and ’83) NADA in Las Vegas.

8. Wayne Cummins says:

Wasn’t there an ‘urban myth’ at one time about the ’83 ‘Vette supposedly being an all steel version using no fiberglass?

9. Mike says:

I visited the Corvette Hall of fame museum and toured the assembly plant in 1995. They told us on our tour that only 3 1983 Corvettes were not disassembled. The White one pictured here is the one we saw at the museum. The second one was elevated an hung partially through the wall just above the entrance of the assembly plant. You could photograph the back end of the car as you walk up to the plant. The 3rd one was owned by the then current CEO of General Motors.

10. Erin Robels says:

From what I read about the 1983 Vette, the quality was so poor, that even GM would not release it to the dealers(which was amazing consider so many poor quality cars from the Big Three made it to the showroom)

11. JUAN says:

I am from Cape town and have a c4 corvette.
    what puzzles me is that the taillights have a 1983 marking on them.
    Can someone explain why ?

• Brent says:

According to the article, “The initial plan called for introduction of the newly designed 1983 in October 1982.” Then it follows up by saying, “a decision was made to withhold production (for sale) until January 1983 and to serialize them as 1984 models.” So, essentially, the 1984 model year started production (manufacturing) in Jan, 1983. To put it in perspective, it is only August of 2013, but car manufacturers are releasing cars for the 2014 model year. Those cars will be 2014 models, but will have many parts that have a manufacturing date of 2013.

12. V8 says:

Oh yes commiefornia they dont like american cars there only toyotas…

13. ConvertiBill says:

I recently toured the museum and was also surprised to see this 1983. What I noted most were the wheels. I have a brochure for the 1984 and it shows the wheels that the 1983 at the museum has, but I’ve NEVER seen them on another car in person or in media before.

14. Pingback: Going to the 50th? $$$$$$ - Page 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums

15. Pingback: Kentucky Sinkhole Eats 8 Corvettes!! - Page 4

16. John says:

I have a 1983 c4 model corvett that has never been built still unopned these were only give to GM workers when it was decided to push the c4 back to 1984 anyone have an idea as to where i might be able to find out how much its worth

17. Richard huber says:

I have one made in 3/83 titled 1984 with clear glass top was bought in Fort Worth tx.i live in ohio.

18. Lori Rosa says:

Hi, I had a 1983 Corvette. I still have the hard top – I would like to sell it.
    On the inside is printed: 3/11/83 – 31 #
    My cell: 401-374-7154 – Thanks! Lori R.