Corvette Transmission Pictures

In researching this morning’s blog, I discovered an interesting website that shows photography of almost all current GM transmissions.

Included are the Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed transaxle and the Tremec T56 six-speed manual overdrive transmission used in the current Chevrolet Corvettes.

The Hydra-Matic is shown at the top.

The Tremec is below.

10 Responses to Corvette Transmission Pictures

1. robert freeman says:

My 08 conv. has a manual trans. i feel it “grinds” a bit shifting gears. Noticeably from 2nd to 3rd. it is also difficult to aggressively shift when attempting to get full performance out of the engine. Has anyone else mentioned this and how do i get my service people to check this?

2. Robert Parrin says:

I experienced the same thing on my 08 conv with a gear meshing feeling and sloppy shifts. Took it to Penske Chevy last week and they all told me that what I felt was normal. I tried a new one on the showroom floor and it had a nice ‘click-click-click’ through the gears. So when the weather in Indy gets nice, I’ll take my car back and test drive another C6 to compare. I only have 1500 miles on mine and it did not feel like this when picked it up at Bowling Green. I will keep the blog posted.

3. IZZY JONES says:

Sounds like the same problem encountered with the WS6 TransAm when they put the 6 speed Richmond in it. The gears are heavy, and when under heavy throttle, there was no way you could shift with any real speed, so the 6 speed manual was viewed as a flop in the racing community.

4. Jackie says:

My husband just purchased and 04 Vette (something special commerative or something, he is impressed) I am not impressed with the 6 speed. I can drive anything but shifting this is bad. I can get from 1-4 but 5&6 are impossible unless I use both hands. Reverse is just as bad. They are so close I often start in 3rd thinking I am in 1st. Really. I am not that bad a driver – Really.
    The auto only has 1500 miles; was kept in a showroom. I am thinking transmissions.

-jackie

5. Thomas says:

My wife has a 2008 Corvette with an automatic transmission. It seems on occasion to slip during shifting at low speeds. The dealer says “nothing wrong.” I find it hard to believe anyone would design a transmission so it would act this way. Any thoughts?

6. Roy says:

I have a C6 coupe 2006, Z51. When shifting to back gear, it takes 3 to 4 sec. Is it normal? If not, does anyone know what’s wrong?

7. Tim says:

Does anyone know if Chevy came out with a fix for the 2009 Corvette six-speed manual transmission? Mine has a cluncky/grinding type of feeling when shifting into 2nd and 3rd.

8. Kayla says:

I’m in school for automotive and my instuctor mantioned that some vettes have a lock out that it doesn’t like to go from 1st to 2nd gear it goes from 1st to 4th unless driving aggressivly. hopefully this will help. Ask a specialist for confirmation.

9. Brett says:

Best way to get rid of it is to take it to a respectable performance shop experienced with the A6 and have a tune done. It will increase the smoothness of the shifts and when it shifts. Got mine done and the difference is amazing! I love driving the car all over again! Search some Corvette forums and see.

10. RONNY BOLTON says:

I have a 2008 C6 Corvette six speed automatic. occasionally the trans will just spin out and not be in a gear. I have to pull off the road and kill the engine for a few seconds and restart the engine. Once in a while it will stick in a gear, usually 3rd and will not shift up or down until I stop the car and kill the engine for a few seconds. When I start up again, it’s ok for a good while.