Corvette Run-Flat Tires

CorvetteBlog continues to be amazed at Run-Flat Tire Technology.  Documents received recently speak of the fantastic nature of these tires.  For example: "Run-flat tires perform so well without any air that a Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) is used to alert you if a tire has lost pressure."

Consider this caution: "When the low tire warning light is displayed on the instrument panel cluster, your vehicle’s handling capabilities will be reduced during severe maneuvers.  If you drive too fast, you could lose control of your vehicle.  You or others could be injured.  Do not drive over 55 mph (90 km/h) when the low tire warning light is displayed.  Drive cautiously and check your tire pressures as soon as you can" (emphasis ours).

Sure, it is presented as a caution, but they are saying in this official document (#1911402) that with little or no air one should not drive faster than 55mph!  Is that not incredible?

The following paragraph goes on: "If a tire goes flat, you will not need to stop on the side of the road to change the tire.  You can just keep on driving.  The shorter the distance you drive and the slower the speed, the greater the chance that the tire will not have to be replaced.  If you drive on a deflated run-flat tire for 25 miles (40 km) or less and at speeds of 55 mph (90 km/h) or less, there is a good chance that the tire can be repaired.  The tire can operate effectively with no air pressure for up to 100 miles (160 km) at speeds up to 55 mph (90 km/h), but the tire would then have to be replaced.  When a tire is filled with air, it provides a cushion between the road and the wheel.  Because you will not have this cushion when driving on a deflated tire, try to avoid potholes that could damage your wheel and require replacement of it" (emphasis ours).

Without a doubt: what fabulous technology, and what peace of mind this gives!

[ Related Blog ]

32 Responses to Corvette Run-Flat Tires

1. Bob Whitten says:

I need to replace the tires on an 07 Z06. Any recommendations on a smoother and mainly quieter brand. OEM tires are Goodyear F1 Eagles.

2. james H Wisdom says:

I am not happy with the run flat tires (Eagle F1). Can I replace them with low profile Goodyear tires? An ’05 Vette with emt tires feels every rock in road.

• Duane Nelson says:

I just blew out a GoodYear Low Profile Eagle with only just over 26 000 miles on my 2007 Corvette. Speaking of GoodYear tires in general I have never had GoodLuck with them from 4×4 to Corvette over the last 35 years of driving.
      I would like to hear from Corvette owners. Tell me what tires work best for you.

• Robert says:

Goodyear run flats suck…..once u repair one…..it makes a bad hum sound that won’t ever go away

• Byron Brown says:

I too have a 2007 with tires issues. I have never had any luck with Goodyear Tires over the past 35 years. From drag racing to normal driving. My suggestion if you are looking for a good smooth riding and performance tire, would be the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. I put two on the front of my car and the difference is amazing. Plus they have a 40,000 life expectancy. I just have a little over 27,000 miles and both tires are shot.
        Just a thought.

3. shaner says:

i need to change out a tire but i cant find a jack low enough, any ideas other than rolling the rim on a ramp?

• Al Goodman says:

Go to harbor freight tools. Look for a pittsburgh rapid pump 1 1/2 ton floor jack. Depending on front or rear,you will need to drive your vette onto 2×8 planks. Put blocks behind your tires.Look for correct lifting points and start pumping. works great for me.

4. Sharon says:

I need to replace my goodyear Egles tires on my 2004 corvette. Any recommendation on another brand/type and best place to purchase them

5. ron says:

I’m about to purchase a new set of run flat tires for my ’02 corvette. I’ve never owned run flats before; every manufacturer is offering a warrantee covering replacement. Any advice or is it a waste of money?

• Duane Nelson says:

I don’t know about your 2002 vette but my 2007 does not even have a spare tire or a place to put one. So run flat is a must for me. And I would like to know what brands carry run flat tires besides GoodYear, every kind of GoodYear tire I have ever had has disappointed me from 4x4s to Corvette.

6. Ron Cortese says:

I am replacing stock run flat tires on a 2001 Corvette Convertible. What do you recommend for the nicest ride with good wear?

7. Stan says:

I hate the run flats as they are the roughest riding thing in history and to me, takes the please of driving the car completely out of it. Having said that, I just bought yet another corvette, my 30th or so, and I want to drive the car over and replace the run flats. Any ideas on the best tire to replace them with.?

8. RUDY says:

DON’T LIKE THE OEM GOODYEAR F1 SUPER TIRE… THEY SUCK REPLACE WITH
    FIRESTONE WIDEOVAL RFT WHY, CHEAPER, BETTER RIDE, QUIET… WILL LAST A LOT
    LONGER THAN THE “SUPER TIRE” HAVE DONE
    IT ON LAST 3 VETTES INCLUDING CURRENT
    Z-51 CAR YOU WILL BE HAPPY PUT CARBON CERAMIC BRAKES ON TOO… YOUR HAPPY. /r/

9. Dave says:

Do I need flatruns on a 2004 corvette? Thanks Dave

10. Debra Thornton says:

owe a 2007 corvette the chevy they replace tthe front 2 tires at 10,000?
    boughta 2008 corvette chevy replace the front 2 tire @ 12,00, now they said I need e more front tires. Is anyone else
    having this problem & mine tire have been
    aligned many time at Smithfield Chev &
    Hendrick Chrevrolet

11. Joe M says:

I just replaced the eagles on my 07 corvette with michelin pilot plus a/s zero pressure(run flats).these are by far the best tire for this vehicle

• Duane Nelson says:

Did you replace front or back or all 4? My 2007 vette has different sized wheels
      from front to back. My front tires are fine.

12. Brian says:

I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP (Zero Pressure) on my ’02 about a year ago. The ride is very smooth and is much quieter than the original Goodyear Eagles.

13. grady derrick says:

I bought a new 2007 corvette and already replace the front tires twice. Prsent mileage is 20,000 miles. Goodyear Run Flat tires are terrible. For the price they charge for that tire is a crime. I am looking for another brand tires.

14. Frank Thurston says:

I bought a set of Eagles 6 years ago for my 1999 Corvette coupe, still have have half the tread left on them after 20K + miles.

15. Robin says:

Am running with Supercar EMT run flats that need to be replaced..big surprise. Where is the best place to pick up the Pilot used or do you have any recommendations? What about the all season good year?

16. keith says:

F1 tires sucks- need to know a good run flat tires at a fair price for a 07 C6

17. Glenn Schaufler says:

I have a 2006 Vet with original Goodyear runflat tires, (16,000 )miles. The fronts need to be replaced. Can I replace the fronts with Michelin Pilot Sport, AS, ZP and leave the Goodyear Eagles on the back as they have a lot of thread? I realize there are different performance spec, etc. but would I notice anything with just normal driving? Could any bad things happen by doing this?

18. Hunker says:

We’re trying to decide if we should replace our OE with run flats or go with a Nitto which will ride softer for our newly purchased 2004 Corvette.

19. Duct says:

2001, after replcing runflats every 18-24 months, Texas heat sucks the rubber right off. Replaced last set of run flats with Pep Boys radicals, currently in 26th month with more than 75% of tread intact, but the best part of the swap in tires is the cost, which was 1/3 of the OE Good Year cost and softer ride.

20. ken says:

1996 vette goodyear eagle not lasting. Any recommendations for performance, price and durability?

21. grady derrick says:

I had to buy two sets of front Goodyear tires on my 2007 Corvette with less of 20,000 miles. I replaced all four tires with Michelin Pilots. Best investment I made. Great Tires.

• David A. Smith says:

I’ve experienced the same problem… I purchased 4 Goodyear tires for my 2007 Corvette Z06. The need replacing with only 15,000.00 miles. I’m not satisfied with run flat tires. Some of the Corvette owners are replacing their run flat tires with traditional less expenses tires. If anyone is having similar problem(s) please let me know how you resolved them? Thanks!

Dave
      1(318)516-1882

22. James M Cirillo says:

I purchased my 06 Vette in June 2011 with 7,500 miles. Now has 18,000 and the front tires are bald. The back have about 5K more. Based on what I am reading here, it looks like the Michelin Pilots are the way to go.

Wherever I go, Corvette owners tell me that their
    preference is for Michelins over Goodyears.