Corvette Navigation – Time for an Update?

The Audi A8 MMI SystemHaving been around the C6 for a long time with it’s Navigation system that now is 4 model years old, you have wonder when an update is coming?  Sure, the same NAV system is used in all Chevy and GMC models but it’s just plain getting outdated.

We stumbled across the new Audi A8 and learned that it will come equipped with a new MMI computer system. If you’re familiar with Audis, they come installed with the button-and-knob interface, which has proven to be quite a success.  I assume the new MMI system must be more promising than their previous interface.  The new seven-inch TFT screen with 800×480 resolution is controlled by the use of a 8-position joystick.  I don’t know if a joystick is the answer for the Corvette, but the simple graphical interface of this system is awesome.

The GPS maps can be seen through a 3D perspective, with topographical map coloration. There’s also crossfading between screens.  Very cool! We’ll have to wait to hear how customers react to learning the new MMI system. If all goes well for Audi, don’t you think it’s about time for GM, now years behind, to update into a newer navigational system?

[ AutoBlog ]

6 Responses to Corvette Navigation – Time for an Update?

1. Kim Smith says:

The navigation systems on ALL GM vehicles is a huge disappointment. The one in my new Corvette and Yukon are at least 6 years old map vintage. About any Radio Shack navigation system is more current, and I feel it so humiliating that a US manufacturer has systems so far behind in terms of accuracy and features than those that come from the foreign auto makers for “our” country. Calls to GM about his matter – “Nothing can be done”. Just sad.

2. tina ramirez says:

I would like to know if there is a 2006 Corvette navigation update cd. If so, please advise how to acquire this item. Thank you

3. Peter Glassman says:

I just purchased a used 2005 Corvette with only 27,000 miles on it. The Navigation System is out of date. It doesn’t have my home address or that of my daughters, as we have homes and streets born in 2009. How can I get an update for my Navigation System?

You can visit GMNAVDISC.GM, and purchase an update by Credit Card.

5. Mike Scribner says:

Will an ’06 Oem Corvette Navigation system fit my ’11 model w/o the system, my car does have the 3LT pkg. If so, is it a plug & play installation, or does it require dealer programing? Thanks all in advance for any help.

6. Ron Mongeau says:

I own a 2008 Corvette. The navigation system is like owning an old dot matrix printer. The resolution is poor and many streets are not named on my 2017 disc from GM. I own another 2008 vehicle and the resolution is very good. So what’s with GM?