Rare Porcelain Model of C1 Corvette

CorvetteBlog is looking for information about a rare 1/16 scale model of a 1953/1954 Corvette.

One of our readers, Kim Wayne, notified us that she is putting together a display for a local historian, about her deceased father and his Chevrolet dealership in Buffalo, New York, from the early fifties.  Kim’s late mother told her that her father was given a porcelain Corvette replica as a welcome gift, when he became a new Chevrolet Motor Division franchised dealer in 1954.  The model measures 12” long, 5 ¼” wide, and 3” tall, and has no markings of any kind on it.

It would be helpful for the historian to ascertain the legitimacy as to the process whereby a new dealer in that era of the introduction of the Corvette would receive this model.  Perhaps you know of another model like this, or know someone who has more information.  Please share with us any information you can.  Contributions of information can be kept private, by request.

12 Responses to Rare Porcelain Model of C1 Corvette

1. phil armstrong says:

This shop in Toronto, Canada specializes in racing memorabilia. They seem to be very knowledgable, so they may have some info, or know where to get info:

I checked out this website, at your suggestion. I agree that they have some great items for sale. Thank you.

3. Dean Schneider says:

Hello, I proudly own one of the ’53 porcelain Corvette models. I first saw the car at an antique show fifteen years ago in Atlantic City, and it was quite expensive then. Some years later, I saw the same car from the same dealer on eBay. I was the only bidder, and am thrilled to have the car as part of my collection. I would be willing to send pictures if you would like, so please let me know.

Believe me, I’ve never seen another one anywhere, and I’m happy to know that someone else knows the existence of these beautifully-done early Corvettes.

• Tom stewart says:

Hi Dean, I have a 53 porcelain corvette that has been in my family for as long as I can remember. I would be interested in any info you may have, I thought I had the only one. This is my work email but if you want you can call me at 509 240 4801. Thanks Tom

4. Dean Schneider says:

I had sent a message earlier today regarding the porcelain Corvette, of which I’m proud to have one my collection. If you would care to see pictures of the car, please email me at: dpgs88@aol.com.

5. Dean Schneider says:

The only difference with my version is that the base is open, so you’re able to completely see the underbody. I would love to find additional information from anyone who may know about this special car. Please feel free to contact me at: dpgs88@aol.com. I will be happy to supply pictures, upon request.

Dean – I would be interested in seeing the photos. Please send to bill@corvetteblog.com. Thanks.

7. Todd says:

I own two of these models. They were given to my great-uncle in 1953 when he worked as a service manager for a Chevrolet dealership as a display.

8. mike spoon says:

I have one of the model cars (1953 Chevrolet) hand painted in Italy. If anyone is interested, please call Mike, aka Spoon, at 1(631)949-3128.

9. peter madelli says:

I have one of these cars and would be willing to sell it.please email me with a offer.thank you

10. Stan Freese says:

I own 2 of these models. They were given to me as a gift. I would like to get as much information as possible. How valuable are they? Should I insure them?

11. Ron Gilkes says:

My father was a Chevrolet Dealer and had the exact same model on his desk.
    I still have it.
    Anyone interested in it, please let me know.