Check out some of these fun facts, and let us know how many of them you already knew. Maybe we will stump you, or maybe you are already a Corvette expert!
- Corvette is the world’s longest-running, continuously produced passenger car. The longest-running vehicle of any type is the Chevrolet Suburban.
- 1968 was the first year an AM/FM stereo radio was offered as an option.
- Corvette made its debut as a concept vehicle at the General Motors Autorama in New York City on January 17, 1953. It was such a success that a limited run of 300 production Corvettes began on June 30 of that year.
- Corvettes produced from September 1, 1979 to March 25, 1982 were required by law to have speedometers with an upper limit of only 85 MPH.
- All 1953 models were Polo White with a red interior and they were priced at $3,498.
- In 2006, the third 1953 Corvette produced sold for a record $1.06 million at auction.
- Crossed flag emblems returned to the nose and sides of the Corvette in 1979 after many years of being absent.
- Corvette was exclusively available with an inline six-cylinder engine until 1955. That year, the optional V-8 engine was ordered by 90 percent of buyers. The six-cylinder was dropped in 1956. Corvette has been available exclusively with V-8 power since.
- The 500,000th Corvette was built in 1977; the 1 millionth was built in 1992, and the 1.5 millionth Corvette rolled off the line in 2009.
- The first 1981 Corvette was built in St. Louis, and the last 1981 Corvette was built in Bowling Green.
- No 1983 Corvettes were sold to the public. The model year was skipped in
preparation for the all-new 1984 Corvette, which launched the C4 generation.
- Forty-four Corvette prototypes were built as 1983 models. Only one remains, and it is on display at the National Corvette Museum, in Bowling Green, KY.
If you already knew all of the above facts, then we applaud you. If we had you stumped on a few, now you know a little more about the history of the Corvette. Are you looking more toward the future, then take a look at the new 2015 Corvette Z06.